Monday, May 4, 2009

What’s my favourite beer?

If I had a beer for every time I’ve been asked that...
And of course, there is no ONE favourite. I really don’t have the proverbial “desert island” beer. (It would depend on where my island was located, and what food was available there.)

I CAN categorize my “favourites” into...

WHAT IS ALWAYS IN MY FRIDGE (given seasonal availability)
*Paulaner Salvator Doppelbock
*Einbecker Ur-bock dunkel, and Maibock
*Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
*Founders Breakfast Stout
*Great Lakes Christmas Ale
*Ayinger Oktoberfest Marzen
*Hitachino Red Rice Ale
*Some sort of “bretty” wild beer –right now it’s Goose Island’s Matilda.
*Berliner Weisse –mandatory during summer. Right now it’s Dogfish’s Festina Peche
And, of course, Mike’s homebrew. We generally have some sort of pale ale or IPA and a pils or helles on tap, but if not then Stone Pale Ale, a Michigan IPA, and Sierra Summerfest are in there also.

BEERS THAT MAKE/MADE ME WEEP TEARS OF JOY
Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek
Orval
Dieu du Ciel Rose de Hibiscus (NOTE My friend Doug Beedy, brewer at Fort St brewery,was inspired by this beer to make his own fantastic version at the brewpub. Doug-bring back the hibiscus beer!)
Dieu du Ciel Peche Mortel
Les Deux Brasseurs- Signature Ale #2
Leelanau Petosky Pale Ale
Bell’s Two Hearted Ale on draft/cask
Stille Nacht Reserva 2000
Rodenbach
Jolly Pumpkin Bam, ES Bam, Madrugada Oscura Stout, Luciernaga, Luciernaga Reserve, Perseguidor # 4
New Belgium’s La Folie
North Coast Old Stock Ale Any vintage, but especially older ones.

So, that’s my short list. A good pint of Guinness is always a welcome treat, and I do love a Schneider Weisse while sitting out back on a warm Sunday morning. A rich and hearty Aventinus always makes me wonder why I don’t drink this more often. I couldn’t live without rauchbier, and Schlenkerla Fasten Bier on draught made me weep with joy on a trip to New York last year. I love biscuity malty English ales, and a good Scottish Export. And soft Kolsch. And hoppy pils. Okay, I’ll stop now....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels